Thursday, August 9, 2012

Gratitude is the memory of the heart ~Jean Baptiste Massieu

This past week, our Board Member Tina Schouw celebrated her birthday. Many of you will know Tina's music. Some of you will know how often she has shared her gift to help us raise funds, performing at soirees and other events. 

I have long been in admiration of Tina. When I first heard about her I definitely idolized her, she was a role model for me of a strong woman who lives her dream. Now that I know her better,  she has helped me find the strong woman within myself and is helping the organisation do the same for others. I still remember when Toni Stuart and I, in the very early days of the organisation, approached Tina and asked her to join our Board. We asked her because we knew that she would help us find the inner wisdom we needed to build the dream of I Am Somebody! We were so nervous that she might say no, but her answer was a huge smile and a YES! She has been a mentor and support for I Am Somebody! ever since. 

I believe that the successes of I Am Somebody! and the resilience of the organisation in these early days can be attributed to the commitment our board has had. Regardless of their busy lives they each contribute so much to the work, they are the roots that are not always seen above ground. They are a support daily, they give their time without always been recognized for it and without needing anything in return. They believe in the dream of our work and they have been hugely instrumental in making it happen. Thank you Greg Andrews, Kyoko Kimura, Tina Schouw, Toni Stuart, Diana Ferrus and Kita Thierry. 

At her birthday gathering over the weekend, with a few friends and family, Tina asked people not buy her presents but to bring cash donations and drop them into a hat, which as she puts it is to "support the work of my favourite, fabulous NPO, I AM SOMEBODY" She collected R2100.00 towards our work! 

In her beautiful way, Tina suggested that her experience might be an example of a way that people in our community can help raise money for I Am Somebody! But more on that coming during our month to grow a garden in September (Wondering what this is? Watch this space to find out more soon!!) 

Thank you so much Tina for this gift among the many that you have given our work. Wishing you a very happy year!

---- Nicole le Roux, Director of I Am Somebody!

No comments:

Post a Comment